Liller Maddox Marbles

She was a great educator, humanitarian

Liller Maddox Marbles was born in Morehouse Parish, MerRouge, Louisiana, November 24, 1891.

She moved with her parents Mr. and Mrs. John Maddox to Monroe as a small child and attended the Wisner School in Monroe. In 1908 she married Herman Henry Marbles and to this union was born three daughters, Ozelle, Zolle and Hazel Marbles, all of who she educated before her death in 1943. She was a member of the Tabernacle Baptist Church from 1903 to her death. She worked energetically in the community with the Red Cross, Cancer Society and Community Chest.
During the great flood of 1927 she worked day and night helping to feed, clothe and console the hundreds of refugees who were housed in the old Masonic Building on Washington Street. She was a member of the Morning Star Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and held the position of treasurer for several years.

A recreation center on Renwick Street was dedicated to her memory by the city of Monroe in 1962.